Friday, September 3, 2010

He Asked...I Said Yes!!

Yes…the title is exactly what you think. I am happy to announce that Jon and I are engaged! It was such a magical day and I will never forget it. I keep reminding myself that it’s really happening! I really have a beautiful ring on my finger. I’m really planning a wedding. I’m really walking down the isle in a year. I’m really marrying my best friend.
It’s been two days since he got down on one knee, and I can’t believe I haven’t rushed to the computer to write about it. But I have to write it all down now…while it’s still fresh in my mind. I want to look back, years down the road, and remember the exact way I felt on the day my dreams came true. Many of you are waiting for “the story”, so here it is…..

About a week ago, Jon said that he wanted to go to lunch together since we hadn’t in a while. He said it was a surprise lunch. I didn’t think twice about it since he has been known to do this, on many occasions. He picked me up around 11:15 and we hopped on the freeway and drove. He asked if I wanted to know where we were going. I simply replied “no, just surprise me”. As we continued to drive, and drive…and drive, past all the exits that had food, I began to wonder where we were going. I continuously asked Jon if I had been to “this place” before and he convinced me that I had and that we both “love their food”. As we got closer in the heart of Livermore, I thought to myself, ‘I know I’ve never had lunch over here with him before…perhaps he’s losing his mind?’.

 I asked one more time and he said “well, we’re not eating yet…first I wanted to take you to Alden Lane so you can pick out any plant you want”. He continued, “A year ago today, I asked you to be my girlfriend, so today is special. I know how much you love this place, so whatever plant you want, it’s yours”. Now, mind you, the man hates plants, so I was just excited to be able to have some plants in the house!

 We got out of the car and started walking towards the nursery. We looked around outside for about 5 minutes. I remember thinking how beautiful it was outside and what perfect weather it was. I could feel the sun on my face and I could smell all the different scents of the flowers. A perfect mixture. Jon then said he was going to ask where the restroom was…so off he went.

 A few minutes later, I heard him call my name behind me. He was carrying a beautiful plant with baby blue flowers. As he sat the plant on a bench near a big beautiful water fountain, I walked towards it thinking how pretty is really was. I went to pick up the plant and a name tag with my name was sitting perfectly in the plant. I made a joke that “this plant has my name on it”. I then realized that there was a small black box behind the name tag. I set the plant down and opened the box to find two flawless rings placed inside the box – one being a diamond wedding band, and the other, an engagement ring.

 I immediately turned around to face Jon, the exact moment he was kneeling to the ground. My heart was racing; my fingers were trembling; the tears started to well up in my eyes. He got down on one knee, took my hand and said “I love you so much. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you…and I promise you that I will take such good care of you. Jennifer Elizabeth, will you marry me?”
 I looked at him, smiled and with a shaky voice, said “yes!”

 He stood up, we put the ring on my finger…and it was a perfect fit. The diamonds were so sparkly and I couldn’t help but stare. Word of our engagement around the nursery caught on very quickly and the entire staff was so happy for us. They took our picture and made our day so much more special. We even made it to the main page of their website.

 It was a day that I will never forget. I’m so lucky to have met him and I can’t wait to spend the rest of our lives together. We were meant to be…something we’ve known from the moment we met.

So there you have it...our proposal story! And so the planning begins….

Jonathan & Jennifer
September 1st, 2010
Alden Lane, Livermore CA

4 comments: